Job 40: 15-18
15 ¶ Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.
16 Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.
17 He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.
18 His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron.
- Bible Dictionary - Apparently the intensive plural of behemah, meaning “beast.” A large river animal (possibly the hippopotamus)
- 1828 Dictionary - Heb. a beast or brute; from an Arabic vert, which signifies, to shut, to lie hid, to be dumb. In Eth.dumb. Authors are divided in opinion as to the animal intended in scripture by this name; some supposing it to be an ox, others, an elephant; and Bochart labors to prove it the hippopotamus, or river horse. The latter opinion is most probably. [See Hippopotamus.] The original word in Arabic signifies a brute of beast in general, especially a quadruped.
- Many Christian Scholars now ask "Does a hippopotamus have a tail like a cedar tree?" The obvious answer is no, hippos have very small tails. But many dinosaurs do indeed have rather large tails as wide and as long as cedar trees
Job 41: 1-8
1 Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? or his tongue with a cord which thou lettest down?
2 Canst thou put an hook into his nose? or bore his jaw through with a thorn?
3 Will he make many supplications unto thee? will he speak soft words unto thee?
4 Will he make a covenant with thee? wilt thou take him for a servant for ever?
5 Wilt thou play with him as with a bird? or wilt thou bind him for thy maidens?
6 Shall the companions make a banquet of him? shall they part him among the merchants?
7 Canst thou fill his skin with abarbed irons? or his head with fish spears?
8 Lay thine hand upon him, remember the battle, do no more.
- Bible Dictionary - a legendary sea-monster representing the forces of chaos that opposed the Creator.
- 1828 Dictionary - An aquatic animal, described in Job 41, and mentioned in other passages of Scripture. In Isaiah, it is called the crooked serpent. It is not agreed what animal is intended by the writers, whether the crocodile, the whale, or a species of serpent.
Psalms 91: 13 Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.
- Bible Dictionary - Two Hebrew words are thus rendered though they are sometimes translated whale, serpent, jackal, or sea-monster. Probably a large snake or snakelike animal in Deut. 32: 33; Ps. 74: 13; Ps. 91: 13. A jackal in Job 30: 29; Isa. 13: 22; Isa. 27: 1; Isa. 34: 13; Isa. 35: 7; Isa. 43: 20; Isa. 51: 9; Jer. 9: 11; Jer. 10: 22; Jer. 51: 34; Mal. 1: 3. Used figuratively in Ezek. 29: 3. In the New Testament it is always used figuratively, as in Rev. 12: 3, 7, 9, 13, 16; Rev. 13: 2, 4, 11; Rev. 16: 13; Rev. 20: 2. Cf. Mosiah 20: 11; Alma 43: 44.
- 1828 Dictionary - DRAGON, n. A genus of animals, the Draco. They have four legs, a cylindrical tail, and membranaceous wings, radiated like the fins of a flying-fish.
Were there dinosaurs on Noah's Ark? The bible says that all living creatures with breath were brought on to the ark. Many Christian Scholars believe that this would include the dinosaurs.
Gen 7:15 And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life.
How could dinosaurs fit on Noah's Ark? Many Christian Scholars believe that Noah would have chosen young animals to carry on his ark. They say that the average size of animal that would have been taken on the ark is about as big as a house cat. If Dinosaurs were taken on the ark as babies, many of them the size of house cats then it is more believable that they could have fit on the ark. This blog has already in former posts talked about how the ark was very large in my post What was Noah's Ark like?
Why did the dinosaurs disappear? Many Christian Scholars believe that the Green house effect I talked about in an earlier blog post allowed allot of vegetation to grow that supported the dinosaurs. After the flood the earth was striped of plants and unable to support as much vegetation so the dinosaurs starved. Yet others believe that the ice age was too cold for the dinosaurs.
Allot of great information is available at The Great Dinosaur Mystery. Questions and Answers or Discovery Trail
- What is a Dinosaur
- Dinosaur Theories about Extinction
- What are Fossils
- The First Dinosaur Fossil Discoveries
- How Fossils Form
- Dinosaur Math